Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is taught worldwide and was featured on the PBS special Healing and the Mind. MBSR was developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, author of the bestselling books Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness and Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life.
MBSR teaches mindfulness meditation, mindfulness yoga, and mindful living. The majority of graduates report lasting benefits: less pain, greater ability to cope with pain and stress, greater ability to relax, and more energy and optimism. Some say their life has been profoundly changed.
MBSR has helped people with a variety of psychological and medical conditions, including depression, high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer, backache, headache, fibromyalgia, gastrointestinal problems, fatigue, sleep problems, and more. It is an excellent complement to treatment provided by a psychotherapist or physician.
Many healthy people take MBSR, as well—to disengage from life's drama; to quiet mind chatter; and to cultivate calmness, clarity, perspective, and peace. Some participants use it to improve performance during sports, presentations, and other high-stress situations.
- Leader: Kerry Rasp, BA, MBSR, SPS mindfulness meditation instructor. Mr. Rasp completed training in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction at Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn's renowned Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Healthcare, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
- Approx. 6-week program; held throughout the year.
- Summit Psychological Services, 482 Springfield Ave., 2nd floor, Summit.
- Includes copy of The Mindfulness Solution by Dr. Ronald Siegel and guided meditation recordings.
- For more information, call Dr. Jeffrey S. Kahn, PhD, CGP, DABPS, SPS Managing Director, (908) 273-5558 ext 111.